I grew up with ultra liberal parents that were seemingly color blind. I played sports growing up, including high school basketball, which means half of your friends are black, and I never witnessed any racism. We were all pretty much color blind, or at least acted as if we were.
Last summer I brought my daughter (4) to a park and we saw a family there that lives on our court. Their girl is about 6 and they hadn't really played with eachother until that day. The family is black. When my wife got home from work, my daughter (who, in my bias opinion, is pretty savvy for a 4 year old) told my wife that she saw the girl that lives next to us at the park. There being a lot of kids in our 'hood, my wife wasn't sure who she was talking about. My daughter replied; "the one with the curly hair". She didn't even know to refer to her as black. Of all the features that could have stuck out to her, I would have thought that the most obvious would have been skin color, but apparently not. It was her hair.
This is pretty irrelevant to what we are discussing, but just one man's opinion: eliminating racial categories is feasible.
No comments:
Post a Comment