Friday, November 14, 2008

West: Race Matters

I very much so enjoyed reading West's book. He begins with hard statistics to remind people that things for black individuals and other groups in a state of poverty are not getting any better, in fact they have worsened. He discussses the breakdown of support and care within black communities and attributes the problem to a full on attack on black people's very being. He discusses what he calls a "prophetic framework" which is situated in grassroots organization creating change through the focus of love. So far I agree with what West has to say, but I hope that he will discuss the specifics of what a prophetic framework actually does to eleviate the suffering he has so clearly illustrated as undeniably real. For example, he critiques capitalism for making people into objects, as well as says that it perpetuates a hedonistic existence. So, does he think we need to move out of capitalism and into a new system of governing...and if so what system would that be? Or does he want to remain in capitalism but change the things that capitalism is currently endoring? Is this even possible? These are the question I have that I hope he will address in further chapters.

No comments: